Thursday 7 March 2013

The Photographers Gallery Review


After visiting The Photographers Gallery on the 6th of March, there wasn't much to say about the whole exhibitions. The works that were displayed didn't impress me to an extant to inspire me. Although Laura Letinsky's work was the most interesting out of all the other artist that I found (Geraldo DE Barros and Clunie Reid). Her work was truly interesting. The colours that she uses in her work really catch your eyes. What is also more interesting is the objects she uses to portray multiple collages. She has said that the objects she uses are left overs that are found at a dinning table. She would take pictures of what ever was left on the table and the way she takes the photos is truly amazing, she would use a really old camera where she could adjust the lenses. By doing this, it gives the effect of the image of being really flat. I found her work interesting and colourful.

Now, the rest of the exhibition wasn't inspiring. I found some of Geraldo DE Barros’s work very dull. It was just photos that had cut outs. Although the way he developed his photos was interesting. He would cut out of the negatives and then use this to print out this work. Even though, this exhibition wasn't even part of the type of art I was after. It was just photographs. It looked like any one can do this. On the other hand the way he left his work was inspiring. It seemed like a mystery, it was left on a cliffhanger. It seemed like he worked till he died and that gave a whole new story about his work.
Clunie Reid’s work was just mess. All I saw was scribbles and doodles on white pieces of materials placed in columns. There were some aspects of her work that I found intriguing . for example on the left is a drawing she created. It is representing a woman. The way she drew this fascinates me, it resembled the body figure of a woman but what makes me curious is why there are smiley stickers stock on her head. It looked too much of a draft, sketch. Other people also agreed with my opinion.







The workshop I attended was enjoyable. They had a lot of materials that I used to make my collage. Also staff that led the workshop gave us a few ideas of what kind of collages that we could do. I found those ideas interesting and I really wanted to try them all out but time got the best of us. That was the most memorable moments out of all the trip to the gallery.
Here are the collages that I created
The first collages we did was called Exquisite Corpse, the aim was to have different body part to form one body. As you can see mine consists of a bird,a wing from an eagle, an umbrella and an old style photo of a lady. Also I added a few tissue paper to resemble clouds.
The second collage was merely a simple collage but had to be related to my chosen illustration for Narnia. I felt that using these found images were appropriate as they were related to the era where the story took place.


No comments:

Post a Comment