Thursday 18 April 2013

Review and Refine



The materials I  used were different types of papers, the base the was cartridge paper, where the actual image of the lion shown. Then are about three or four different layers of tracing paper with hand drawn copy of the lion.These were my first attempts on using collage with julian Opie. I used different techniques to portray this illustration. The main technique was over lays. I first copied the image onto tracing paper. On each layer/tracing paper, I use different types of techniques like using pen to give a rough sketch of the lions head. on another layer I carefully outline the head with a red pen so that I to add a bit of colour to the collage. For the bottom layer I used colouring pencil. I felt like using these technique so that it makes the piece more unique and different. I think that I makes the work stand out.  The layering of illustrates a movement of the lions head, hence why this technique is suitable for these types of images.
Doing this was easy, although choosing the right order to place the tracing papers were hard. different types of layers that are placed in different way can turn the outcome looking very differently, so choosing the right order in which to place the tracing paper has to be right. For example, if i placed the red outline layer in front then the red will take over making the other layers meaningless, but if I used the black outline layers and placed the red layers underneath then it balances out the colour contrast.
One way of improving this work would have been to use different types of techniques to create an outline. Although I used various types on this work but they were almost similar. I don't think that I would like to work on this again, my initial idea was to use layers and hand drawn image to illustrate my drawing.
I got inspired to do this piece from this image below.
I liked the messy side of this work. Also the colours used on the right image. Although the artist is unknown, it reminds me of Alberto Giacometti sketches like so.

Comparing my work with the example work piece, they both have similar techniques. Although the example was more detailed and also has more colours that makes each layer stands out. unlike mine, I had two colours for my layers, red and black.  one difference is that on my work, I have a background image, e.g the lions head.with the example, there only seems to be different layers all combined into one.
I wanted to make my a little bit different from the example given hence the background image of the lions head.
in terms of developing this for my final outcome, I think that I will use the layers only and create a digital collage.

After reviewing this work, I then decided to look back at other collages I did beforehand.
I liked this collage and I think it would better to use this style of work for my final outcome. Further more, I think that I will experiment on using my previous technique of overlaying along with digital collage so that it looks different and unique. This i think will form a new form of style, something completely different.
The artist that I will be looking at for this kind of style would be Ciara Phelen which uses similar style to the digital collage I created.

No comments:

Post a Comment